You Can Help

Published 5:23 am Sunday, June 10, 2012

These are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, Senior Resources, 377-7433.

Wheelchair escorts: This summer six volunteers are needed to assist wheelchair bound residents at St. John’s Lutheran Home to cruise the gardens, attend musical entertainments and picnics, dining out or in a store for shopping. Volunteers move the wheelchairs and dine with the residents. Driving residents to sites off campus is not required. To be an escort, please call Carla Reichel, the volunteer coordinator at 473-1028.

Freeborn County Environmental Services: A variety of tasks are available for volunteers at the hazardous waste collection sites: opening paint cans, directing traffic, recording names and helping unload vehicles. There is something for all skills and interests. Dates remaining are June 14, 19 and 27; the sites are Manchester, Hayward and Hartland. You’ll get further information by calling 377-5186.

Email newsletter signup

Seeking Outstanding Senior Citizens 2012: You can help salute the great volunteering that a 70-year-old person has contributed over the past five years of community involvement. Nominations are available at the Senior Resources Office, 1659 W. Main, Skyline Plaza, Albert Lea. Be sure to get it turned in by July 1, 2012.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.