You Can Help

Published 9:00 am Saturday, June 16, 2012

These are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, Senior Resources, 377-7433.

Seeking Outstanding Senior Citizens 2012: Let’s salute the super volunteering that a man or a woman age 70 or older who has contributed over the past five years. Nominations are available at the Senior Resources Office at Skyline Plaza. Be sure to send it in by July 1 to the Freeborn County Fair Office, OSC, Box 128, Albert Lea or call 507-391-0345.

Freeborn County Environmental Services: A variety of tasks are available for volunteers at the hazardous waste collection sites: opening paint cans, directing traffic, recording names and helping unload vehicles.  There is something for all skills and interests. Dates remaining are June 19 and 27; the sites are Manchester, Hayward and Hartland. Call 377-5186 for more information.

Email newsletter signup

Free Phone MN: You can help folks get connected with this Free Phone MN program sponsored by the FCC. Wireless Internet access is needed and a power source. This program is not just for seniors; it is for anyone in the community on a federal program. Call Angela Enderson, advocacy coordinator, at 377-7433, Senior Resources, for details.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.