You Can Help

Published 10:51 am Saturday, October 13, 2012

The following are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call 377-7433.

Thorne Crest health care unit: Residents sometimes need to go to the Albert Lea clinic for appointments and to be accompanied in the waiting room. You can meet them at Thorne Crest Retirement Community and ride with them on the van or meet them at the clinic and keep them company while they wait to see the doctor. You can call Marilynn Claussen at 373-2311 for schedules.

Volunteer drivers: Ride Services of Freeborn County needs three more drivers for one or more half or full days a week. Drivers are reimbursed for mileage and receive trainingsĀ  as they assist senior residents get to medical and other appointments. Call Senior Resources at 377-7433 for more information.

Email newsletter signup

Salvation Army food shelf and community meals: You can help nourish folks in Freeborn County by volunteering at The Salvation Army. Volunteers are needed from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. any weekday to fill food boxes of about 25 pounds. Others will help between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. one or more days a week to prepare, serve, clean up or visit with people coming for the community noon meal. Come try it out and shadow another helper; you can set a schedule that works for you. Please call Kathy Belshan at the Salvation Army at 373-8776.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.