You Can Help

Published 6:10 am Sunday, October 28, 2012

The following are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, at Senior Resources, 377-7433.

Volunteer drivers: Ride Services of Freeborn County needs just one more driver for a schedule that you choose. Drivers are reimbursed for mileage and receive training as they assist senior residents getting to medical and other appointments. Call 377-7433 for additional information and to volunteer.

Headstart: Come in to Brookside Education Center and read stories to preschoolers in Headstart. Classes are in session Monday through Thursday, late morning and early afternoon. Call 379-5161 to schedule a time that works for you. Come once or make it a habit.

Email newsletter signup

Give a caregiver a break: Be a companion to an elderly or frail senior and help their caregiver have a break for a few hours. You can make a big impact just by spending an hour or two per week — or month — as a visitor/companion. Staff at Family Caregiver Network can provide more details and help you get started. Call 377-7433 and enjoy a change of pace for yourself.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.