You Can Help

Published 6:07 am Saturday, December 8, 2012

Here are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, at Senior Resources, 377-7433 also 800-642-1875.

English language learners: An adult learning English needs a volunteer to practice speaking and reading skills when they attend the Adult Basic Education program at Brookside School. Classes are in the morning with English practicing on a one-to-one basis. Please call Penny Jahnke at 379-4867 Monday through Thursday in the morning to offer your best time once or twice a week for a half hour to help strengthen our community through your English speaking skills.

Tax aide: Looking ahead to 2013, the AARP tax aide needs three more people with modest computer skills who can help elderly and low- to moderate-income people complete and file their tax returns. Training from Bruce Owens is the third week in January. Volunteers are supervised in the Senior Resources Office as they meet with individual appointments in February through April. If you can offer four hours per week this would be a great help to Freeborn County folk.

Email newsletter signup

Daffodil Days teams forming: Help with the ordering, sales and delivery of American Cancer Society daffodils. The campaign preparation begins in January, so call Rick Jeddeloh at 1-800-227-2345 to be part of this positive step toward reducing the effects of cancer.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, Minnesota Board on Aging and Corporation for National and Community Service.