You Can Help

Published 9:13 am Sunday, October 20, 2013

These volunteer opportunities are currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Carol Soma, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program interim director, at Senior Resources, 377-7433.

The Albert Lea Art Center: The Albert Lea Art Center could use your help this month. The organization is looking for volunteers to help with the following events:

• Art & Faith Exhibit: Gallery volunteer for the current exhibit, which runs until Friday, at the Art Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays through Fridays.

Email newsletter signup

• Pumpkin painting: Volunteers to paint pumpkins that are delivered to agencies in the Freeborn County area. Call 373-5665 if you or your group is interested in painting. Volunteers are also needed to deliver painted pumpkins to the area agencies.

Minnesota Reading Corps: Volunteers are needed at elementary schools in Albert Lea. Reading Corps will provide all the training, materials and support for a volunteer to experience for kindergarten through third-grade students learning to read. You can read one hour one day per week or three hours twice per week — whatever works into your schedule. The volunteers work with students within the school day and work one on one with students. You may be the key to a student learning to read. Students learn to read from kindergarten to third grade. From third grade to graduation a student reads to learn. Call Linda Bottelson at 383-1466 for more information and to volunteer.

Salvation Army meals: The Salvation Army is looking for volunteers to help prepare and serve meals at 302 Court St., Albert Lea. Since meals are available Mondays through Fridays, they’d welcome volunteers any of those days, with shifts starting around 9 a.m. and ending after the lunch hour. If you’re interested and available, just come to the church at 302 Court St. during morning hours. For more information, call RSVP at 377-7433.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.