Fatal New Ulm fire ruled accidental

Published 9:33 am Friday, March 21, 2014

NEW ULM — Authorities say a New Ulm apartment house fire that killed a woman last month was accidental.

Fifty-year-old Darcy Moldan was rescued from her second-floor apartment during the Feb. 27 fire but later died of her injuries.

Investigators determined the fire started in a plastic waste container in the kitchen of Moldan’s apartment.

Email newsletter signup

Four people living on the apartment’s main floor escaped without injury.

New Ulm Fire Chief Paul Macho says investigators confirmed the apartment building had enough fire alarms.

The fire was reportedly investigated by the New Ulm fire and police departments and the state fire marshal’s office.