Weekend Planner: Comedy opera, anyone?
Published 10:52 am Thursday, April 24, 2014
Mozart’s opera about testing the ties of love will be transmitted live on Saturday from the Metropolitan Opera to the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center in Albert Lea.
“Cosi Fan Tutti” features youthful Met stars Susanna Phillips and Isabel Leonard as the sisters Fiordiligi and Dorabella, with Matthew Polenzani and Rodion Pogossov as their lovers. The opera will be sung in Italian with English subtitles.
The performance, which is part of the “Live in HD” series, is described as a frothy comedy of manners with an intensely dark take on human nature.
Email newsletter signup
The opera will begin at 11:55 a.m. and will run about 3 hours and 40 minutes with one intermission.
Meet the Met will gather at 12:15 p.m. Friday at Prairie Wind Coffee for a short presentation about “Cosi Fan Tutti,” Mozart and the opera singers.
There will be a shortened version of Meet the Met at 11:30 a.m. Saturday in the Green Room.
Tickets for each opera are $20 and $12 for students under 30. There are a limited number of free tickets for high school students. Students can obtain these tickets by going to the ACT box office and showing a student ID.
General tickets can be purchased at the ACT box office from 4 to 7 p.m. today or online at ACTonBroadway.com and AlbertLeaCivicMusic.com. Tickets are also available through the Albert Lea Convention and Visitors Bureau.
• A Pink for Penny Benefit will be from 5 to 10 p.m. at the Albert Lea Eagles Club in honor of resident Penny Jensen, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in January.
• KB Entertainment with Craig Karaoke will go from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. There will also be a dinner, silent auction and bake sale.
• The Galatic Cowboy Orchestra will perform at 7:30 p.m. at the Lighthouse Events Center. Cost is $15 in advance and $20 at the door.
• Tom Minehart will perform at the Albert Lea Moose.
• The Albert Lea Knights of Columbus will have its annual Tootsie Roll fundraiser in front of Hy-Vee, Nelson’s Market Place, Shopko and Walmart. Knights of Columbus members will give away Tootsie Rolls. Ninety percent of donations collected will go to support the Arc of Freeborn County and 10 percent will go to support the Minnesota Special Olympics Fall Bowling Classic.
• The Fountain Lake 5-mile run and Tiger Trot will begin at 9 a.m. from Brookside Education Center, 211 W. Richway Drive.
• The Family Fun Festival will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Northbridge Mall. Information will be available on activities and programs for young children in Freeborn County. There will be activities, crafts and prizes.
• Albert Lea High School Grand Promenade will be at 3:30 p.m. at Albert Lea High School, with prom beginning at 8 p.m.
• The Glenville American Legion Auxiliary will host a steak fry from 5 to 8 p.m. Cost is $13. Proceeds will benefit the auxiliary veterans programs.
• A dinner fundraiser for Albert Lea’s new pickleball courts will be at 5:30 p.m. at the Albert Lea Eagles Club. Entertainment will be provided by Full House.
• Entertainment will be by RAHK, with karaoke at 7 p.m. at the Albert Lea Moose Lodge.
• A tribute to country singer George Strait will be at 7 p.m. at American Legion Post 56, 142 N. Broadway. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Food will be available starting at 5 p.m.
• The North Heights Chorale & Orchestra Concert will be at 7:30 p.m. at First Lutheran Church.
• The annual Ultimate Firefighters Feast will be from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Walters Fire Hall. Menu includes made-to-order omelets, French toast, pancakes, eggs, sausage and a beverage. Cost is $8 per person.
• Albert Lea American Legion Post 56 will have a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Menu includes pancakes, sausage, fruit cup, potatoes, scrambled eggs, juice and coffee. Cost is $7.
• A pancake breakfast for the Albert Lea Family Y youth fund drive will be from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bonnerup Funeral Service, 2210 E. Main St. Menu includes Denny Brue’s pancakes, sausage, eggs, coffee, juice and milk.
• Operation Kids Safe will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Northbridge Mall.
• Big Ben & The Brians will perform from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Albert Lea Eagles Club. Cover charge is $7 for members and $8 for nonmembers.
• The Cantori Concert will be at 3 p.m. at United Methodist Church.