You Can Help

Published 9:00 am Sunday, April 27, 2014

The following are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Carrie Paulson, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, at Senior Resources at 377-7433.

Freeborn County Bike-A-Thon: Two-hour shifts are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 3. Volunteers are needed to check-in riders at the Sibley Elementary School warming house. Please call Paulson at 507-377-7433 to sign up. Let’s hope the weather will cooperate this year!

REACT Southern Minnesota of Albert Lea: Volunteers are needed to help with the Bike-A-Thon on May 3. Call Elaine Larson at 507-874-3422 for details and to sign up.

Email newsletter signup

Thorne Crest Retirement Community: Volunteers are needed to accompany residents to doctor visits. Volunteers would only be a companion in this role. Call  Paulson at 377-7433 if you are willing to help out.

Semcac/Senior Towers/Shady Oaks: Volunteers are needed at 10:30 a.m. on Mondays to deliver meals from Senior Towers to Shady Oaks. Call Paulson at 377-7433 if you are willing to help with this vital service.

Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors: Able-bodied volunteers are needed to help deliver the NAPS boxes, which are approximately 20 pounds, to Senior Towers and Senior Court every third Monday of the month. There are also some home deliveries throughout Albert Lea that need to be done. If you have a truck and can help deliver to those in need call Paulson or Amanda Evans at 377-7433.


RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.