Area students compete at Math Masters competition in Austin
Published 9:40 am Monday, May 12, 2014
Fifth-grade students from Halverson, Hawthorne, Lakeview and Sibley elementary schools participated in the regional Math Masters Minnesota Challenge April 25 at Austin High School.
One hundred-sixty-one fifth-graders in 34 teams competed individually and as teams on eight sets of mathematical problems. The team coaches were Melissa Howe of Halverson Elementary School, Larry Rassler of Hawthorne Elementary School, Laurie Herman of Lakeview Elementary School and Christine Schaefer of Sibley Elementary school.
Local Math Masters awards
• 6th-place Team Problem-Solving Award: Allison Dultiz, Laura Flaherty, Jaeda Koziolek, John Lukes and Jack Waltman
• 18th-place Order of Operations Fact Test: Katelyn Uthke
• 19th-place Individual Problem-Solving Award: Jacy Rosas
• 3rd-place Order of Operations Facts Test Award: Allison Dulitz
• 10th-place Order of Operations Facts Test Award: Will Steene
• 18th-place Order of Operations Facts Test Award: Maat Wal
• 11th-place Individual Problem-Solving Award: Jack Waltman
• 7th-place Order of Operations Facts Test Award: William Ladley
• 10th-place Order of Operations Facts Test Award: Ian Williams
• 17th-place Order of Operations Facts Test Award: Jack Jellinger
• 5th-place Individual Problem-Solving Award: Mikayla Hillman