Cigarette disposal caused fire

Published 9:47 am Friday, April 10, 2015

DULUTH — Duluth Fire Department investigators have determined an improperly disposed cigarette accidentally caused an apartment fire that displaced dozens of residents.

According to a press release, 44 people were displaced in the Saturday afternoon blaze at the 20-unit, three-story apartment building. The Salvation Army said many of the families still were staying at a motel as of Thursday, and only a few had found permanent housing.

The charitable organization and other groups are working to help the affected residents by organizing fundraising efforts. A silent auction and raffle at a bar and a hip-hop benefit show are planned this weekend.

Email newsletter signup

The Red Cross has been helping the affected tenants with transportation, shelter, food and clothing.

The building is a total loss with damage estimated at $900,000. No one was injured beyond minor smoke inhalation.