Can a person get into Canada with a DUI?

Published 9:42 am Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ask a Trooper by Troy Christianson

I am planning a fishing trip to Canada and one of my friends was arrested for DUI a few months ago. Is he able to get into Canada with a DUI on his record?

Answer: Driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offense in Canada and the officer can refuse you entry into Canada if you have been convicted of this. This can be fixed via one of two methods depending on the length of time passed since the conviction.

Email newsletter signup

Option 1) For DUI and convictions less than five years old: An application for a temporary resident permit will allow travel into Canada for business and/or pleasure.

Option 2) For DUI and convictions over five years old: A rehabilitation permit may be applied for allowing permanent hassle-free travel into Canada.

Regardless of the nature of any conviction whether it be a DUI, misdemeanor or felony, all alcohol related convictions are treated seriously. It is always best to tell the truth when speaking with a Canada Border Services Agency officer because if a lie is uncovered you may be refused entry into Canada in the future and they will also do an extensive search on your vehicle.

Stay on the Minnesota side to keep the money within our state, and you are also able to keep more than one walleye too.

Despite the port of entry or method of transportation used to cross into Canada, you can be denied entry for a DUI. Some examples include:

You arrive by air at a Canadian airport

You are not driving and only a passenger in a private or commercial vehicle

Leaving a ship docked at a Canadian Harbor

If you have any questions concerning traffic-related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Sgt. Troy Christianson, Minnesota State Patrol, at 2900 48th St. NW, Rochester, MN, 55901-5848 or reach him at


Troy Christianson is a sergeant with the Minnesota State Patrol.