Minn. officials warn of toxic algae after child sickened

Published 10:04 am Friday, July 3, 2015

ALEXANDRIA — Minnesota health officials are warning of the dangers of toxic blue-green algae after they said a child was taken to a hospital after swimming in a central Minnesota lake that had the bacteria.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and the state Department of Health said the child was swimming in Lake Henry in Alexandria in early June and showed symptoms of toxic algae contact. According to a press release, the child has since been released from the hospital.

Pam Anderson with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency said it’s not always clear when algae blooms are toxic, so it’s best to stay away if the water has a foul smell.

Email newsletter signup

State officials said earlier this month that a dog died and another became seriously ill after apparently being exposed to blue-green algae in west-central Minnesota.