Mother: S.D. boy burned by hot chocolate at Minn. motel

Published 9:55 am Friday, August 7, 2015

MANKATO — A Mankato motel is investigating a South Dakota woman’s report that her 11-year-old son was badly burned after spilling the motel’s hot chocolate on himself.

Melissa Mentele of Emery, South Dakota, said her son suffered first- and second-degree burns while getting hot chocolate from a self-serve machine at a Holiday Inn Express in July. The sixth-grader was in Mankato for the Minnesota Vikings’ training camp.

According to a press release, Mentele said she believes the water was too hot. She said her son was with his grandmother, who thought the motel ignored her concerns.

Email newsletter signup

Holiday Inn Express official Shirley Baker said the company is investigating and declined further comment.

Mentele said her son may need a skin graft, and she’s still waiting for the motel’s promised insurance information.