Man dies of reaction to peanuts

Published 9:43 am Friday, January 22, 2016

RAMSEY  — Family members said a peanut allergy caused the death of a 22-year-old Ramsey man.

Brian Kelly said his son, Bruce, had a fatal reaction after eating some chocolate that was made in a plant that also processed foods with peanuts. Kelly said his son suffered the reaction at his home Monday and lapsed into unconsciousness. Kelly started CPR until emergency responders arrived.

Bruce’s twin brother, Ryan, has the same allergy. Their parents said the boys have been diligent about avoiding foods with peanuts since they were diagnosed with the allergy as babies. The twins’ mother, Beth Kelly, said her son had grown complacent about eating food with factory processing warnings.

Email newsletter signup