Memorial Day services slated in area
Published 9:04 pm Saturday, May 28, 2016
Memorial Day in Albert Lea and the surrounding communities this year will be observed with special programs at area cemeteries, along with a program to honor deceased military veterans.
Memorial Day observances begin in Albert Lea at 7 a.m. at Lakewood Cemetery, followed by a ceremony at 7:15 a.m. at St. Theodore Cemetery.
At 7:40 a.m., a ceremony will be at Hillcrest Cemetery, followed by one at the Freeborn County veterans memorial near the corner of South Broadway Avenue and East College Street.
Email newsletter signup
A flag-raising ceremony and memorial service for those buried at sea will be at 9 a.m. in Fountain Lake Park.
A wreath will be cast into the water from the shore. Another wreath will be dropped into the lake from an aircraft, weather permitting. A volley fire by the American Legion color guard will be made and taps will be played.
At 11 a.m. a program will begin at Graceland Cemetery under the direction of Albert Lea American Legion Post 56.
Cmdr. Wes Halverson will be the master of ceremonies. The speaker will be Freeborn County Sheriff Kurt Freitag, who served in the military for 20 years.
Also on the program will be the Placing of the Wreaths by representatives of Albert Lea veterans organizations, plus Minnesota National Guard, Gold Star parents, Don and Deb Goodnature, and POW-MIA representative Al Brooks. The Careyaires men’s vocal group and the Albert Lea High School band will provide patriotic music for the Graceland Cemetery program.
Halverson said in case of rain, the ceremony will be in the Albert Lea High School auditorium.
Other Memorial Day events in the Freeborn County area
The following is a list of other Memorial Day events taking place in the area:
• Glenville American Legion Post 264 will host a service at 9:30 a.m. at First Lutheran Church and 11 a.m. at Bohemian National Cemetery, north of Myrtle. A lunch will follow at Brick Hall.
• Silver Lake Lutheran Church will host a Memorial Day lunch from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the church, 705 Silver Lake Road in Northwood. Menu includes sloppy joes, potato salad, pies, desserts and coffee.
• Cross of Glory Church in Hartland will host a program and lunch starting at 9 a.m. at the church, 401 Church St.
• A service will be at Clarks Grove Cemetery at 9 a.m. In case of rain, the service will be moved to First Baptist Church in Clarks Grove.
• Oakland Lutheran Cemetery, 22042 850th Ave., will host a service at noon provided by the Austin Honor Guard, followed by a lunch. Coffee and donuts will be available starting at 9 a.m.
• Roseville Cemetery in Wells will host a service at 10 a.m. Rain location is the USC school auditorium. A pork sandwich meal will be at 11 a.m. at the American Legion. A turkey sandwich meal will be at 11 a.m. at the VFW.
• Geneva Cemetery will host a service at 10 a.m., followed by a service at 11 a.m. at First Lutheran Church.
• Emmons American Legion Post 317 will make visits to nearby cemeteries. The group will assemble at 8:30 a.m. and leave for the cemeteries at 8:45 a.m. Services will be at Lime Creek Synod at 9 a.m.; Lime Creek at 9:15 a.m.; Oak Lawn Cemetery in Emmons at 9:30 a.m.; Silver Lake Cemetery at 9:50 a.m.; St. James Catholic Cemetery at 10:45 a.m.; Brush Hill Cemetery at 11 a.m.; Bear Lake Cemetery at 11:15 a.m. and Lunder Cemetery at 11:30 a.m. The annual Emmons American Legion family potluck will be at 12:30 p.m. at the Legion.