• 64°

Home destroyed by fire

Blaze believed to have started from wiring, space heaters

GORDONSVILLE — Space heaters reportedly caused a fire Tuesday night that destroyed a Gordonsville home in southern Freeborn County.

No people were home at the time of the fire, but a pet reportedly died in the blaze, according to a Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office press release.

The inside of the home was gutted by the fire Tuesday night in Gordonsville. - Sam Wilmes/Albert Lea Tribune

The inside of the home was gutted by the fire Tuesday night in Gordonsville. – Sam Wilmes/Albert Lea Tribune

Dispatchers received a 911 call at 11:31 p.m. that the two-story house at 80538 Second Ave. was on fire.

Upon arriving, firefighters and Freeborn County deputies reportedly found the house fully engulfed in flames.

Online property records list Darrenn and Tonya Stevens as the primary taxpayers at the address.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office was called in to investigate the fire. The investigation determined that wiring and the use of multiple space heaters caused the fire.

Walls were destroyed in the house fire that is believed to have started from wiring and space heaters. - Sam Wilmes/Albert Lea Tribune

Walls were destroyed in the house fire that is believed to have started from wiring and space heaters. – Sam Wilmes/Albert Lea Tribune

Fire departments from Glenville, Myrtle, Albert Lea, Twin Lakes, Emmons and Northwood assisted on scene. Gold Cross Ambulance and the Salvation Army assisted.

A GoFundMe page introduced Wednesday for the people who were living in the home hopes to raise $10,000.

To donate, visit https://www.gofundme.com/fire-recovery-for-mitch-and-hayden?ssid=840436966& pos=1.

More information is expected to be released when the investigation is completed. Look to the Tribune for more information as it is released.

About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam