No students injured after carbon monoxide leak
No students were injured Thursday after a cracked heat exchanger unit at Albert Lea High School reportedly led to what school officials have described as a small carbon monoxide leak.
Albert Lea High School Principal Mark Grossklaus said school officials were notified of the leak in the school’s wood shop Thursday morning and immediately took action to move students and staff.
The principal said an independent professional HVAC contractor was already on-site working to a repair a heating unit on the roof and identified the issue and then turned off the gas in the affected areas. The unit was repaired at 9:30 a.m.
The affected areas were then ventilated, and air quality was measured multiple times throughout the day and was at normal levels.
“Based on the information we received, it is highly unlikely that any individuals were impacted by the minimum CO amounts,” Grossklaus said.
He could not comment about employees because of data privacy issues.
Staff and students were allowed back into the affected areas once the contractor deemed they were safe for use, he said. Staff and students returned to these classrooms — adjacent to the wood shop area, and for added safety, the wood shop area was unoccupied for the remainder of the school day.
The district reached out to families at the high school via phone and email through its School Messenger system to inform them of what happened at the school. The district’s Facebook page was also updated with information.
DODGE CENTER — Authorities say an explosion has injured six people at a truck plant in southeastern Minnesota. The explosion... read more