Overheated wiring cause of Albert Lea fire

Published 10:19 am Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Overheated electrical wiring reportedly caused an Albert Lea house fire Sunday that resulted in more than $50,000 in damage.

The Albert Lea Fire Department was dispatched at about 6:45 a.m. Sunday to 205 Elizabeth Ave. Upon arriving, firefighters and law enforcement found smoke coming from the front door and an open second-story window, according to the Albert Lea Fire Department.

The fire was caused by overheated electrical wiring due to an overloaded electrical circuit between the first and second floors, according to the Fire Department.

Email newsletter signup

No one was inside the residence at the time of the incident.

Fire crews were on scene for approximately three hours extinguishing hot spots.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $55,000 and was reported to the interior of the home.

The Fire Department was assisted in the investigation by the Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office, Albert Lea Police Department and Gold Cross Ambulance assisted on scene.

About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam