Ask a Trooper: Which out-of-state permits are valid in Minnesota?

Published 9:17 pm Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Ask a Trooper by Troy Christianson

Question: Which states have handgun carry permit laws similar to Minnesota’s permit to carry law?

Troy Christianson

Answer: Out-of-state permits valid in Minnesota: Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina and South Dakota. 

Email newsletter signup

States with laws not similar to Minnesota (not valid in Minnesota): Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

It is important to know the laws of each state you travel through if you intend to carry a handgun. 

You can avoid a ticket — and a crash — if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always drive sober.  Help us drive Minnesota toward zero deaths.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Sgt. Troy Christianson, Minnesota State Patrol, at 2900 48th St. NW, Rochester, MN 55901-5848; or reach him at

Troy Christianson is a sergeant with the Minnesota State Patrol.