2 hurt in Albert Lea house fire

Published 9:46 am Thursday, October 26, 2017

Man was flown by helicopter to Twin Cities hospital

Two people were injured early Thursday morning in a house fire in Albert Lea.

Email newsletter signup

A man, who was reportedly unconscious at the time he was taken to Mayo Clinic Health System, has not been released. He was later flown to a hospital in the Twin Cities. A second person who was conscious was taken to the hospital by Albert Lea police, treated and released.

The fire at 502 E. Fifth St. was reportedly caused by a cooking fire on a stove. The kitchen was damaged in the fire, and smoke damage was evident throughout the house, said Albert Lea Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Laskowske.

Investigators were still on scene at about 9:15 a.m. Thursday after a house fire that injured at least two people. – Sam Wilmes/Albert Lea Tribune

A smoke detector reportedly alerted one person in the home to the fire. One person was able to escape from the home, while another person was assisted by the Albert Lea Police Department.

The fire was reported at about 12:30 a.m.

Upon arriving, firefighters and law enforcement found smoke coming from the home. Albert Lea police reportedly gained entrance through the front of the house, and firefighters entered through the back of the home.

Fire crews were on scene for approximately two hours extinguishing hot spots.

Damage is estimated at $20,000.

Online property records list Donald and Mary DeSart as primary taxpayers at the address.

Albert Lea police, Freeborn County Sheriff’s Department and Gold Cross Ambulance assisted on scene. The fire was investigated by the Albert Lea Fire Department and Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s Office.

About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam