Two injured at Glenville-Emmons High School in science room explosion

Published 2:54 pm Monday, October 30, 2017

GLENVILLE —Two people were injured Monday at Glenville-Emmons High School when a glass beaker on a hot plate exploded.

Science teacher Elise Volz and a freshman student were taken to Mayo Clinic Health System in Albert Lea by ambulance to remove small pieces of glass from their arms and faces, said Glenville-Emmons Principal Jerry Reshetar.

Volz and the student reportedly had goggles on at the time of the incident, which was reported before 2 p.m.

Email newsletter signup

An investigation into the incident is ongoing, Reshetar said.

The name of the student has not yet been released pending family notification.

About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam