Unattended candle causes Albert Lea kitchen fire

Published 10:14 am Monday, December 18, 2017

An unattended candle reportedly caused a fire that damaged a kitchen Friday night at an Albert Lea home.

No injuries were reported in the fire at 1004 Ulstad Ave., and no residents were home.  

Albert Lea fire crews were called to the scene at about 10:50 p.m. Upon arriving, crews reportedly found blackened windows and visible light smoke, according to the Albert Lea Fire Department.

Email newsletter signup

Firefighters worked to extinguish the fire and were at the scene for approximately two hours.

The fire was reported by a family member checking on a cat.

Damage to the home is estimated at $8,000 and was contained primarily to the kitchen, according to the press release.

Albert Lea police and Gold Cross Ambulance assisted on scene.

Online property records list Jeremy Olson and Larissa Nesset as primary taxpayers of the address.

The Fire Department encouraged residents be cautious with candles and Christmas decorations during the holiday season.


About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam