Camper destroyed in fire that damaged house

Published 8:25 pm Friday, June 29, 2018

A camper fire Thursday in Albert Lea reportedly caused $6,000 in damage.

The fire, at 205 Giles Place, was reported at about 5:55 p.m.

Upon arriving, Albert Lea firefighters and police reportedly saw smoke and fire coming from the camper parked in the driveway between the residence and a neighbor’s home, burning up the side of the house, according to a press release.

Email newsletter signup

Crews then extinguished the fire. Power was cut to the residence due to fire damage.

There were three people home at the time of the fire, but no injuries were reported.

The owners reportedly indicated they were in the home and in the camper at 5:30 p.m. when the lights began to flicker. Shortly after, they noticed smoke coming from the camper.

The camper was destroyed in the fire. Minor damage was sustained to the home, according to the Albert Lea Fire Department.

An investigation reportedly showed the fire was possibly due to an electrical short in the camper.

The Fire Department and law enforcement cleared the scene at 8 p.m., the release states.

Albert Lea police and Gold Cross Ambulance assisted on scene.

Online property records list Barbara Tope as the primary taxpayer of the address.

About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam