Editorial: Be a part of positive change; run for office
Published 2:12 pm Sunday, June 3, 2018
There are only two more days of the filing period left in this election season, and we encourage people who are passionate about the community and who want to stand up for their fellow residents to consider running for office.
As of Friday afternoon, all of the city and county races were uncontested, and a few of the seats have had no candidates file, according to the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website.
The following candidates have filed thus far:
Email newsletter signup
• Albert Lea mayor: Vern Rasmussen Jr.
• Ward 2 Albert Lea City Council: Larry Baker
• Ward 4 Albert Lea City Council: No candidates filed
• Ward 6 Albert Lea City Council: No candidates filed
• District 2 county commissioner : Dan Belshan
• District 4 county commissioner: Chris Shoff
• County auditor/treasurer: Pat Martinson
• County recorder: Kelly Callahan
• County sheriff: Kurt Freitag
• County attorney: David Walker
• Soil and water supervisor District 3: No candidates filed
• Soil and water supervisor District 4: No candidates filed
We hope people take advantage of the opportunity to make positive change in the community, and we look forward to seeing what other candidates file.
Filing for city, county and state offices closes at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
The filing for the Albert Lea school board runs from July 31 until Aug. 14.