Approximately 200 evacuated after Northwood gas leak

Published 1:18 pm Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Residents allowed back in after about 2 hours

NORTHWOOD — Approximately 200 Northwood residents were evacuated for a few hours Tuesday after a gas line was struck at the intersection of 10th Street and Sixth Avenue.

Email newsletter signup

The Worth County Sheriff’s Office advised residents within approximately 330 feet of the site to evacuate after the gas line was struck at about 10:40 a.m. The Olson Building, adjacent to the Northwood library, was open for evacuated residents.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes before 1 p.m, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

According to authorities, Alliant Energy crews were placing cable when they struck the gas line.

Staff moved a couple of residents at the Lutheran Retirement Home into another part of the retirement home for about 1 1/2 hours. The gas leak was on the south side of the retirement home.

Power and gas lines were briefly shut off.


About Sam Wilmes

Sam Wilmes covers crime, courts and government for the Albert Lea Tribune.

email author More by Sam