Tom Jones: Archery club had grand opening 25 years ago
Published 11:33 pm Friday, August 10, 2018
Sports Memories by Tom Jones
50 years ago: 1968
• Elmore and Ellendale Merchants won quarterfinal games in the Conger fastpitch softball tournament. Elmore defeated Glenville 11-2 and Ellendale edged Albert Lea 3-1.
• Elbow Room took the National Division championship of the city slowpitch softball league by defeating Copi-Kwik 15-6 behind the bats of John Willmert, Denny Thostenson, Ron Godtland and J. Werner.
• Denny McLain of the Detroit Tigers won his 23rd game of the season with a 13-1 victory over the Cleveland Indians. He finished the season with 31 wins and is the last pitcher to record 30 or more victories in the major leagues.
25 years ago: 1993
• The Albert Lea Trades & Labor 12 and under traveling baseball team defeated the Albert Lea Burger King team, 18-1. Ross Page pitched six innings for Trades & Labor.
• The Albert Lea Moose 13 and under traveling baseball team placed second in the I-35 League season-ending tournament that was held in Northfield.
• The Albert Lea Full Draw Archery Club was preparing for its grand opening archery tournament at 218 1/2 South Broadway.
10 years ago: 2008
• The Albert Lea V.F.W. baseball team ended its season with a 6-0 loss against Maplewood in the state tournament. The team finished 28-9 on the season and was coached by Jack Kortan.
• Installation began for the 18-hole Albert Lea disc golf course that was planned at Bancroft Bay Park in Albert Lea.
• Glen Perkins pitched eight shutout innings for the Minnesota Twins in their 4-0 victory over the New York Yankees. The win put the Twins one-half game ahead in the standings over the Chicago White Sox in the American League.