Chicago man gets probation for violent threats
Published 11:03 pm Friday, September 21, 2018
A Chicago man who threatened another person in early June was placed on probation for up to five years Thursday in Freeborn County District Court.
Michael Ray Sanders Jr., 45, was sentenced after he pleaded guilty to felony threats of violence in July.
While on probation, he will be expected to follow state and federal laws, not possess or use alcohol or drugs and follow other court requirements.
Sanders was sentenced to 145 days in jail and was given credit for 96 days served. He was released based on the time he had already served.
Court documents state Sanders was charged after officers spoke with the victim, who said Sanders assaulted him. Sanders became angry after the person told him he could not use his phone, swore at him when he asked what Sanders was going to do with the hammer in his back pocket, pulled out a gun, putting it in the victim’s mouth, which knocked a tooth out. Sanders threatened to shoot the victim multiple times.
Assistant Freeborn County Attorney Abigail Lambert said the charge Sanders pleaded guilty to did not involve the allegation he used a gun.
In a separate file, Sanders was placed on probation for up to four years for fourth-degree assault on a corrections employee.
See what happened last night in the PM report here.