Editorial: Keep pets safe during holidays

Published 7:45 pm Monday, December 10, 2018

The holiday season can be one with a lot of excitement for all members of the family — including the furry children.

But there are many things pet owners should be cautious of at this time of the year to help their animals stay safe.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, be sure to steer pets clear of certain unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations.

Email newsletter signup

The animal agency advises people to make sure their Christmas trees are secured in place, so they do not fall and cause injury to pets. The water on live Christmas trees can also be a problem for animals because it can be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can cause a pet to end up with nausea.

People should keep plants such as mistletoe and holly out of the reach of animals, as these can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. Some types of lilies can even cause kidney failure to cats if eaten.

Tinsel may look pretty, but be aware that it can cause a lot of problems for cats if swallowed — including an obstructed digestive tract, vomiting, dehydration and even surgery.

The agency advises people to be sure not to leave lighted candles unattended and to keep wires, batteries and glass ornaments out of reach of animal paws.

It’s a pretty common rule of thumb for pet owners, but don’t feed pets chocolate at this time of year or any season. Also, avoid giving pets fatty or spicy foods.

These are a few things you can do to protect your pets and have a happy and uneventful holiday season.