Overloaded electrical circuit causes garage fire in Albert Lea

Published 2:44 pm Sunday, February 3, 2019

A garage fire in Albert Lea was put out Friday night with no fire damage to the attached home or its residents.

Crews from Albert Lea Fire Rescue, Albert Lea Police Department and Gold Cross Ambulance responded to a structure fire at 7:20 p.m. Friday at 2225 Gene Ave., according to a press release. After seeing smoke and fire out of an attached garage, firefighters entered the garage through a walk-in door and extinguished the fire, remaining for a few hours to handle hot spots.

According to the release, the homeowner was on-site and told responders all family members were outside the home. No injuries were reported.

Email newsletter signup

The fire was caused by an overloaded electrical circuit, originating in an electrical outlet. While fire damage was contained to the garage area and did not extend into the home, damage to the structure and contents was estimated at roughly $33,000.


About Sarah Kocher

Sarah covers education and arts and culture for the Tribune.

email author More by Sarah