The Tigers keep season alive
Published 9:52 pm Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Albert Lea boys’ tennis defeats Winona, advances in postseason
The high school boys’ tennis postseason kicked off Tuesday night as Albert Lea hosted Winona in the first round of the Section 1AA tournament.
The Tigers stepped up to play some of their best tennis of the year, ending the Winhawks’ season 5-2.
Email newsletter signup
First to finish his match was senior Grant Herfindahl at the No. 1 singles spot. Herfindahl didn’t let up a singles game against his opponent, winning in straight sets 6-0, 6-0.
Winona tied the meet back at one win each when Albert Lea eighth grader Tim Chalmers lost his match at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-0. Albert Lea would take the lead right back after junior Cole Indrelie and freshman Shine Thu dominated their No. 1 doubles match in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
The Tigers extended their lead when junior Connor Veldman and sophomore Caleb Hanson won at No. 3 doubles 6-2, 6-1.
Up 3-1, Sam Yoon secured the Albert Lea victory with a 6-0, 6-3 two-set victory at the No. 2 singles slot. Seniors Tim Kruen and Matt Edwards added to the victories with another straight set win at No. 2 doubles, 6-3, 6-4.
Eighth grader Joseph Yoon battled back after falling in the first set at No. 3 singles, but fell in a 10-point tiebreaker, 6-1, 6-7, 10-7.
The Tigers move to 7-8 on the season and advance to the second round of the section tournament to take the Cougars of Lakeville South. The match will take place Thursday afternoon in Lakeville.
Albert Lea 5, Winona 2
1. Grant Herfindahl (AL) def. Ian Loos, 6-0, 6-0
2. Sam Yoon (AL) def. Drew Lechler 6-0, 6-3
3. Aj Appicelli (WN) def. Joseph Yoon, 6-1, 6-7, 10-7
4. Owen Ping (WN) def. Tim Chalmers, 6-2, 6-0
1. Cole Inderlie/Shine Thu (AL) def. Aj Maclennan/Lleyton Monk, 6-3, 6-1
2. Matt Edwards/Tim Kreun (AL) def. Adriean Breitzkie/Caleb Ellenburg, 6-3, 6-4
3. Conner Veldman/Caleb Hanson (AL) def. Will Wisniewski/Tyler Kronebusch, 6-2, 6-1