Albert Lea tennis picks up second win
Tigers dominate the Falcons, earning Big Nine Conference win
After having their Thursday meeting rained out, the Albert Lea and Faribault girls’ tennis teams battled in a Big Nine Conference showdown Friday night.
The Tigers dominated the Falcons, dropping just one of the matches throughout the entire meet to win 6-1.
Senior and No. 1 singles player Sam Skarstad was the lone player to take a match into the third set. After a scare in the first set, losing 6-2, Skarstad found her stride and cruised to win the second and third set 6-1, 6-1.
Junior Shelby Hanson won her match at No. 2 singles, not letting her opponent win a set, 6-0, 6-0. In the No. 3 singles spot, senior Maggie Moller also picked up an easy win, 6-0, 6-4. Junior Alli Dulitz won in the No. 4 singles position 6-1, 6-1.
The one loss on the day came at the No. 1 doubles match, where seniors Carley Talamantes and Brook Maier fell in two sets, 6-1, 6-3. The duo of seniors Kaedyn Kirchner and Madison Prihoda got the Tigers back on the winning track at No. 2 doubles with a 6-4, 6-1 victory. In the final match of the night, juniors Dominika Eckstrom and Hannah Conn won their match at No. 3 doubles, 6-2, 6-2.
The win brings the Tigers to 2-7 on the season and they will look to continue their winning ways Tuesday when they host the Cougars of Mankato East.
Albert Lea 6, Faribault 1
1. Samantha Skarstad (AL) def. Kylie Petrick, 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Shelby Hanson (AL) def. Bailey Peterson, 6-0, 6-0
3. Maggie Moller (AL) def. Stacie Petricka, 6-0, 6-4
4. Allison Dulitz (AL) def. Avery Rein 6-1, 6-1
1. Abby Goodwin/Erica Jonsrud (FB) def. Carley Talamantes/Brooke Maier, 1-6, 3-6
2. Kaedyn Kirchner/Madison Prihoda (AL) def. Serena David/Hailey Reuvers, 6-4, 6-1
3. Hannah Conn/Dominica Eckstrom (AL) def. Kate Jainski/Rylie Starkson, 6-2, 6-2