Albert Lea tennis picks up second win
Published 7:06 pm Monday, September 16, 2019
Tigers dominate the Falcons, earning Big Nine Conference win
After having their Thursday meeting rained out, the Albert Lea and Faribault girls’ tennis teams battled in a Big Nine Conference showdown Friday night.
Email newsletter signup
The Tigers dominated the Falcons, dropping just one of the matches throughout the entire meet to win 6-1.
Senior and No. 1 singles player Sam Skarstad was the lone player to take a match into the third set. After a scare in the first set, losing 6-2, Skarstad found her stride and cruised to win the second and third set 6-1, 6-1.
Junior Shelby Hanson won her match at No. 2 singles, not letting her opponent win a set, 6-0, 6-0. In the No. 3 singles spot, senior Maggie Moller also picked up an easy win, 6-0, 6-4. Junior Alli Dulitz won in the No. 4 singles position 6-1, 6-1.
The one loss on the day came at the No. 1 doubles match, where seniors Carley Talamantes and Brook Maier fell in two sets, 6-1, 6-3. The duo of seniors Kaedyn Kirchner and Madison Prihoda got the Tigers back on the winning track at No. 2 doubles with a 6-4, 6-1 victory. In the final match of the night, juniors Dominika Eckstrom and Hannah Conn won their match at No. 3 doubles, 6-2, 6-2.
The win brings the Tigers to 2-7 on the season and they will look to continue their winning ways Tuesday when they host the Cougars of Mankato East.
Albert Lea 6, Faribault 1
1. Samantha Skarstad (AL) def. Kylie Petrick, 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Shelby Hanson (AL) def. Bailey Peterson, 6-0, 6-0
3. Maggie Moller (AL) def. Stacie Petricka, 6-0, 6-4
4. Allison Dulitz (AL) def. Avery Rein 6-1, 6-1
1. Abby Goodwin/Erica Jonsrud (FB) def. Carley Talamantes/Brooke Maier, 1-6, 3-6
2. Kaedyn Kirchner/Madison Prihoda (AL) def. Serena David/Hailey Reuvers, 6-4, 6-1
3. Hannah Conn/Dominica Eckstrom (AL) def. Kate Jainski/Rylie Starkson, 6-2, 6-2