The season for warmth
Published 4:51 pm Monday, November 4, 2019
The Interchange head chef Rebecca Mock came up with this updated take on traditional Tomato Basil Soup. Her new-school approach of making the soup creamy, chunky and robust sits very well on the palate. This soup pairs well with toasted French bread for dipping. Enjoy this and other fine eats à la Mock from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at The Interchange, 211 S. Broadway Ave. in downtown Albert Lea.
Tomato Basil Soup
- 7 tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chicken bullion cube, mixed with 2/3 cup hot water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 cups V8 original tomato juice
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
Email newsletter signup
Crush tomatoes in a bowl. Add to pot. Add chicken bouillon water, bay leaves, fresh basil and mix together.
Add all spices and mix. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Add milk, whipping cream and V8 juice and mix.
Once hot, gradually add tomato paste, stirring.
Add same amount of all spices again, mix and serve.