Albert Lea duplex damaged in fire

Published 10:27 pm Wednesday, January 29, 2020

An Albert Lea duplex was damaged Wednesday night from a fire that started when a humidifier malfunctioned in a basement bedroom.

Albert Lea firefighters were dispatched at 5:25 p.m. Wednesday to 1220 Cedar Ave. after the resident indicated she had just gotten home from work and opened the door to the house from the garage and found smoke in the house. She could hear smoke detectors going off.

When firefighters arrived, they found the fire in a basement bedroom, and it was quickly extinguished.

Email newsletter signup

According to a news release, firefighters determined that a humidifier in the room had malfunctioned and started on fire.

The fire was contained to the one bedroom, but soot was found throughout the home.

Estimated property and content damages were estimated at $37,500. No damage was found in the adjoining unit.

The residents in the adjoining unit were evacuated as a precaution, and no one was injured.

The Fire Department reminded residents to check their smoke detectors. The news release stated the detectors should be less than 10 years old and have batteries that are less than 6 months old.