Garage south of Albert Lea damaged by fire

Published 9:17 pm Wednesday, February 19, 2020

House has a day care; all able to get out safely


A malfunctioning refrigerator and freezer set reportedly started a fire in an attached garage Tuesday afternoon south of Albert Lea.

The Albert Lea Fire Department was dispatched at 4 p.m. to the home, at 17826 760th Ave.

Email newsletter signup

According to a press release, firefighters learned while enroute that the garage was attached to the home and that the home contained a day care.

The release stated all of the children and adults got out of the home safely.

When firefighters and Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived, they found smoke and fire coming from the garage door and windows.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to contain it to the garage area.

Glenville Fire Department also assisted on scene with a water truck.

Two adults were checked by Mayo Ambulance crews and were released at the scene with no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $15,000 to $20,000.