Published 4:54 pm Friday, June 26, 2020
Area students graduate
• Douglas Sahr of Albert Lea was set to graduate with a Master of Education degree in technology from the University of Sioux Falls. Sahr was among nearly 500 students who were candidates for degrees in the 2020 graduating class.
• The University of Sioux Falls found new ways to celebrate the class of 2020 by mailing graduation boxes to each graduate containing a commencement program, diploma cover, and in USF tradition, a purple towel representing the commission to serve others that comes with the responsibility of an education.
• Allen College conferred 10 Associate of Science in radiography degrees, six diagnostic medical sonography degrees, six medical laboratory science degrees, 49 Bachelor of Science in nursing degrees, 29 Master of Science of nursing degrees and one Doctor of Education degree. Olivia Sands of Manchester earned a Bachelor of Science in nursing.
• The University of Minnesota-Crookston announced its list of spring 2020 graduates. Local students who completed their degree requirements during the spring session 2020 were Emmitt Hoss Stevens of Albert Lea with a Bachelor of Science in health management and Bennett Lee Schlaak of Hollandale with a Bachelor of Science in health management.
• A virtual commencement ceremony was held this spring at Iowa State University to honor the nearly 5,100 graduates who earned degrees. Local students who graduated were Riley Arthur of Ellendale, Bachelor of Science in agricultural business and economics; Emmons students Emily Orban, Bachelor of Science in supply chain management, and Sarah Orban, Master of Science in agricultural education; Spencer Jensen of Lake Mills, Bachelor of Science in animal ecology; Cole Ignaszewski of New Richland, Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering; Northwood students Chloe Breitsprecher, Bachelor of Arts in criminal justice studies and sociology, Jenna Jorgensen, Bachelor of Science in family and consumer science education and studies, and Mason Olson, Bachelor of Science in kinesiology and health; and Dustin Schultz of Wells, Bachelor of Science in software engineering.
• More than 320 graduating seniors from all over Minnesota recently received their high school diplomas as members of Minnesota Connections Academy’s Class of 2020. Elizabeth Lestrud of Albert Lea was among the graduates.
• More than 5,700 University of Iowa undergraduate, graduate and professional students graduated this spring. Paul Scholbrock of Lake Mills was among the students conferred their degrees. Scholbrock was a student in the College of Pharmacy whose program of study was pharmacy. The degree awarded was a Doctor of Pharmacy.
NIACC announces graduation honors
North Iowa Area Community College announced its 2020 graduation honors. Local students named in the honors were Paige DeArmoun of Northwood as a Hall of Fame candidate for getting all As at NIACC; Phi Theta Kappa graduates were Cassandra Jen Bishop of Northwood, Audrey Casperson of Lake Mills, Paige DeArmoun of Northwood, Lindy Sue Harris of Northwood, Jadyn Joynt of Lake Mills, and Madison Lee Westcott of Lake Mills; Paige DeArmoun of Northwood was one of the students awarded the Elmer and Gladys Wessels Endowed Scholarship; Hailey Hepperly of Northwood was one of the students awarded the Robert H. and Mary Isensee Scholarship; and Anthony Naser of Lake Mills was awarded the Wells Fargo Bank Scholarship.
Local students earn scholarships
Augustana University announced students who have earned a scholarship for the 2020-21 academic year in recognition of their achievements both inside and outside of the classroom. Emma Beyer of Bricelyn and Sam Skarstad of Albert Lea are local students who earned Augustana University scholarships. Augustana supports 100% of full-time enrolled students with institutional aid.
Local students named to academic lists
• The University of Wisconsin-Superior has named George Bias of Alden to the dean’s list for academic achievement during the spring 2020 semester. To be named to the dean’s list, students must have completed 12 degree-seeking semester credits and achieved at least a 3.50 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale).
• The University of Sioux Falls congratulated more than 600 students who made the spring 2020 dean’s list. Locals on the list included Dakota Callahan of Clarks Grove, majoring in biology; Chloe Aysta of Albert Lea, majoring in psychology; and Madeline Schei of Hollandale, majoring in English education and secondary education. To qualify, students must earn a GPA of 3.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
• Area Minnesota students were among the 4,206 North Dakota State University students to be placed on the spring 2020 dean’s list. A student must earn a 3.50 grade point average or higher and be enrolled in at least 12 class credits to qualify for the spring list. Locals on the list were Alex R. Ulve of Albert Lea, majoring in mechanical engineering; and Elias R. Lazaro of Hollandale, majoring in architecture.