Ask a Trooper: Do I need a permit to transport used boat dock?

Published 8:45 pm Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Question: I bought a used boat dock; do I need a permit to get it to my lake house?

Troy Christianson

Answer: You can move a boat dock on Minnesota roads without a permit if the dock is no wider than 8’6”, no higher than 13’6” and no longer than 110’. The move must be done during daytime hours. The rear corners must be flagged with 18” squared red or orange flags. The dock sides will have to be flagged as well every 20’. If your dock is larger, then you need to contact Minnesota permit at 651-296-3000.

You can avoid a ticket — and a crash — if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always drive sober. Help us drive Minnesota toward zero deaths.

Email newsletter signup

If you have any questions concerning traffic-related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Sgt. Troy Christianson, Minnesota State Patrol, at 2900 48th St. NW, Rochester, MN 55901-5848; or reach him at

Troy Christianson is a sergeant with the Minnesota State Patrol.