Filing opens Tuesday for local, state public offices

Published 10:35 am Friday, May 17, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Residents wishing to file for local or state public office can do so starting Tuesday.

Albert Lea

In Albert Lea, three of the seven Albert Lea City Council seats will be up for election, including Wards 1, 3 and 5, now held by Rachel Christensen, Jason Howland and Robert Rasmussen, respectively.

Email newsletter signup

Ward 1 voters elected Christensen in 2022 to finish the term of Rich Murray who ran successfully for mayor. With the partial term ending this year, the Ward 1 seat is up for election for the regular four-year term. The Ward 3 and 5 seats are also four-year terms.

Candidates must live within the ward they’re seeking to represent on the council. Visit the city website for a map of the wards:

In addition, Minnesota law requires that candidates:

  • Be eligible to vote in Minnesota
  • Have not filed for another office at the upcoming primary or general election
  • Be 21 years of age or older upon assuming office
  • Have maintained residence in their ward for at least 30 days before the general election

To file for office, candidates need to complete an affidavit of candidacy and pay a $25 fee at the City Clerk’s office on the top floor of City Hall, 221 E. Clark St.

Freeborn County

In Freeborn County, there are three seats open for the Freeborn County Board of Commissioners and four seats for Soil & Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors.

Specifically, seats are open in districts 1, 3 and 5 on the county board and districts 1, 2, 3 and 5 on the Soil & Water Conservation District board.

People interested in these offices should file with the county auditor.

State offices

People interested in filing for state representatives in District 23A or District 23B or for a judicial office can do so with the Secretary of State or the county auditor.

Federal offices

For positions of U.S. representative, U.S. senator or president and vice president, interested people should file with the Secretary of State.

Filing closes June 4 with the primary election on Aug. 13 and the general election on Nov. 5.