Sports memoriesPublished 3:15pm Saturday, November 17, 2012
50 years ago – 1962
• The Chicago Bears defeated the Minnesota Vikings 31-30. Quarterback Fran Tarkenton threw for three touchdowns for the Vikes.
• Lowell Syverson and Ralph Summers, graduates of Albert Lea High School in 1962, began basketball practice at Wartburg College.
• Albert Lea High School wrestling coach Paul Ehrhard greeted seven returning letter winners to the start of practice. They included Mike Callahan, district champion, region champion and a fourth-place finisher at the Minnesota state tournament at 103 pounds, Gary Neist, Ken Stauch, Dan Gilpin, Tom Houchin, Dexter Westrum and Neil Skaar.
• Don Buhr, ALHS basketball coach, began practice with returning letter winners Mike Wittkamper, Denny Tostenson and John Goodmanson.
25 years ago – 1987
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference football team from ALHS were Matt Gordon, Eric Palmer, Matt Sullivan and Kevin Schiltz. Receiving Honorable Mentions were Jeff Quinn, Adam Forsythe and Chris Northrop.
• In the semifinal round of Region 2A volleyball South Central defeated Luverne by scores of 15-11, 15-10 and 15-3. In the final round South Central defeated Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial 3-0 and advanced to the state tournament. South Central improved its season record to 25-1. Carla Kapplinger was 13-13 serving for South Central.
10 years ago – 2002
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference girls’ soccer team from ALHS were Amy Ravenhorst, Steph Overgaard, Liz Reynen and Laura Hillman. Receiving Honorable Mention was Katie Dooley.
• Craig Rayman of Glenville-Emmons was named Coach of the Year, and Alisa Rayman of Glenville-Emmons was named Player of the Year on the 2002 Albert Lea Tribune All-Area volleyball team. Named to the first team were Rayman, Cristy Nelson from Lake Mills, Erin Anderson, Kalisha Anthony, Camille Kyte from New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva and Bridget Satre from United South Central. Named to the second team were Tasha Lackey from Alden-Conger, Ashley Chrz from ALHS, Jenna Brackey and Katie Brackey from Glenville-Emmons, Chelsy Quiran from NRHEG and Jessie Johnson from Northwood-Kensett.