Sports Memories: Jan. 26Published 6:00am Sunday, January 26, 2014
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago 1964
• The Albert Lea wrestling team defeated the Owatonna Indians 20-17 and moved into first place in the Big Nine Conference with a record of 5-1. Winners for the Tigers were Mark Allen at 95 pounds, Gary Neist at 112, Frank Trejo at 127, Neil Skaar at 154, Jim Carroll at 165 and Mike Roberts at heavyweight.
• The Albert Lea boys’ basketball team raised its Big Nine Conference record to 3-3 after defeating Owatonna 64-50. Jim Bratvold scored 19 points and Tom Olson, 16, for the Tigers.
• The Glenville High School boys’ basketball team defeated Adams 50-49 for its second win in the Southland Conference. Dave Monson scored 12 points and Ron Rasmussen, 11, for Glenville.
• In a Border League basketball game, Alden defeated Freeborn 61-42. Jim Lembke scored 18 points for Alden, and Chuck Hinkley scored 18 points for Freeborn.
25 years ago – 1989
• In a North Iowa Conference girls’ basketball game, Northwood-Kensett defeated Lake Mills 68-47. Amy Belville scored 28 points, Stacie Orvedal, 16, and Jolene Johnson, 11, for the Vikings, while Heather Madson had 25 for the Bulldogs.
• The Albert Lea wrestling team defeated Worthington 35-12. Winning matches for the Tigers were Jamie Cantu, Max Bjerke, Daryl Ortgies, Troy Carter, Dave Mendenhall, Tim Anderson, Kelly Pechumer, Brian Hensch and Jake Thompson.
• The South Central girls’ basketball team raised its Southern Conference record to 8-0 with an 87-37 victory over Waldorf-Pemberton. South Central was led in scoring by Kirstin Hugdahl with 23 points and Laura Berkeland with 20.
10 years ago – 2004
• Ben Woodside scored 24 points and Stephan Thorn, 15, for the Albert Lea in its 59-51 win over Austin.
• The Minnesota Gophers women’s basketball team defeated Illinois 75-49 to raise their Big Ten Conference record to 4-0 and their season record to 15-0.
• Tony Dugstad and Jon Breuer scored goals, and Evan Long was in goal for the shutout for the Albert Lea boys’ hockey team in its 2-0 win over New Ulm.