Sports Memories: Feb. 9Published 6:00am Sunday, February 9, 2014
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago: 1964
• The Albert Lea wrestling team moved into first place in the Big Nine Conference after defeating Rochester 25-15. Winning matches for the Tigers were Mark Allen at 95 pounds, Gary Neist at 112, Frank Trejo at 127, Mark Spleiss at 133, Chuck Jean at 145, Neil Skaar at 154 and Mike Roberts at heavyweight.
• Tom Schultz and Gary Feist each scored 14 points to lead the Wells High School basketball team to a 74-31 win over Janesville.
• The Ellendale High School basketball team defeated Glenville 70-66. Dan Jensen scored 26 points and Duane Nelson 20 for Ellendale. Larry Vanek led Glenville with 27 points.
25 years ago: 1989
• The Alden-Conger girls’ basketball team improved to 11-1 in the Gopher Conference after defeating Glenville 77-37. Kris Korman scored 15 points and had 12 rebounds, and Darcy Evenson and Traci Jorgensen each scored 12 points for Alden-Conger.
• Scott Peterson scored 18 points, Max Jeffrey, 16, and Steve Hagen, 14, for Albert Lea in its 67-59 boys’ basketball win over Mankato West.
• Winners in the Gopher Conference wrestling tournament included the following: from New Richland-Ellendale were Travis Johnson at 112 pounds, Shawn Miller at 152, Mike Ebnet at 160 and Mark Misgen at 171; from Glenville-Emmons were Jason Senne at 103 pounds and Graden Nelson at 189; from Alden-Conger-Freeborn were David Deyle at 130 pounds and Larry Thomas at 145.
10 years ago: 2004
• In a double overtime girls’ basketball game, Glenville-Emmons defeated Houston 45-40. Glenville-Emmons was led by Sam Stadheim with 14 points and 10 rebounds and Alicia Reyerson with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
• The Albert Lea girls’ basketball team defeated Winona 51-48 for its third win of the season. Danielle Rankin scored 13 points for Albert Lea.
• Corey Ellertson scored two goals, Brett Frydenlund, Tyler Hegwood, Beau Larson and Jon Breuer had one each for the Albert Lea boys’ hockey team in its 6-2 victory against Faribault.