Peek at the past
Published 1:31 pm Saturday, August 14, 2010
Here are highlights in history for Aug. 15, gleaned from the files of the Albert Lea Tribune:
1988 —A story in this issue explained that the county was named for William Freeborn, a man who never lived in the area. He actually lived in Red Wing, Cannon Falls and St. Paul from 1848 to 1868.
1968 — The Canton Cafe, 321 S. Broadway Ave., was selling take out dinners for 95 cents each. This dinner was a choice of fried chicken, pork tenderloin or french fried shrimp, plus salad, french fries and toast.
Email newsletter signup
1938 — The baseball team at Hollandale was known as the “Tater Bugs.”