Memories stay alive in April Sorensen Half Marathon
Published 5:18 pm Saturday, July 11, 2015
HAYWARD — Over 100 runners kicked off Hayward Days with a 13.1-mile race.
The eighth annual April Sorensen Half Marathon featured 86 individuals and 21 relay teams Saturday on a route from Albert Lea to Hayward.
“It’s a great workout and a lot of fun,” said Christopher George of Geneva, who took 30th place and plans to run in two more half marathons and a full marathon this summer.
Email newsletter signup
The event honored April Sorensen, who was murdered in her home in Rochester on April 17, 2007. She was 27. Her killer has not been found.
April Sorensen’s husband, Josh Sorensen, was at the finish line to give a hug and medal to finishers.
“We continue to do this every year to keep her memory alive,” he said. “She was a strong-willed person, and she enjoyed running half marathons.”
Michael Kuhlman of St. Paul won the men’s division with a time of 1:18.48. His time was about 3 minutes faster than second-place finisher Patrick Johnson of Minneapolis.
Herbie Lein and Tyler Anderson were the top finishers from Albert Lea. Lein took eighth place with a time of 1:33.24, and Anderson finished ninth 1:24 later. The duo competed on Albert Lea High School’s track and field team last spring.
Kiley Green of Draper, Utah, won the women’s division with a time of 1:29.38.
Riley Schulz was one of 14 non-relay runners from Albert Lea who competed. She took 29th place with a time of 1:55.00. After competing in the half marathon twice on a relay team, Schulz said it was her first time running as an individual.
“My goal was to get under two (hours), so I was pretty happy with that,” she said.
Schulz ran distance events as a senior for Albert Lea High School’s track and field team last spring and said she plans to attend the University of Minnesota next year without participating in sports.
The race was chip-timed and one of nine events Saturday during Hayward Days, which continued on Sunday.
“We appreciate all the runners’ participation and the support from the community from volunteering to sponsorships to just coming out to cheer runners on,” Josh Sorensen said. “We’re happy to have the community involvement and that we can do our part to help celebrate Hayward Days as well.”
April Sorensen Half Marathon results
1. Michael Kuhlman, St. Paul, 1:18.48
2. Patrick Johnson, Minneapolis, 1:21.47
3. Josh Shapiro, Rochester, 1:23.06
4. Adam Youso, Austin, 1:25.55
5. Steven Forsythe, Columia Heights, 1:26.23
6. Nicholas Hiniker, Mankato, 1:28.53
7. Mitch Brekke, Hartland, 1:32.27
8. Herbie Lein, Albert Lea, 1:33.24
9. Tyler Anderson, Albert Lea, 1:34.48
10. Jon Larson, Hayward, 1:43.38
1. Kiley Green, Draper, Utah, 1:29.38
2. Samantha Vanwechel, Fergus Falls, 1:29.55
3. Anja Standly, Lonsdale, 1:32.49
4. Carrie Gordon, Chaska, 1:35.18
5. Jennifer St. Amand, Dexter, 1:38.22
6. Kari Luehmann, Waconia, 1:43.49
7. Rachelle Buwalda, Wapun, 1:45.48
8. Danielle Staat, Albert Lea 1:48.32
9. Lori Alexander, Albert Lea, 1:49.32
10. Andrea Jirele, Eden Prairie, 1:52.42
21 relay teams