Huskies too much for Tigers
Published 9:32 pm Tuesday, August 27, 2019
The Albert Lea girls’ tennis team hosted Owatonna Tuesday afternoon in its first home matchup of the 2019 season.
The Tigers picked up one win, but were outmatched by the Big Nine Conference powerhouse, falling to the Huskies 6-1.
The lone Albert Lea win came from the duo of senior Kaedyn Kirchner and junior Hannah Conn in the No. 2 doubles spot. It was not an easy win, either — the match was the only varsity match to reach the third-set tiebreaker.
Seniors Carley Talamantes and Brooke Maier lost 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 doubles and seniors Maddie Prihoda and Dominica Eckstrom fell in the No. 3 doubles position 6-2, 6-3.
In singles action, junior Alli Dulitz was the closest Tiger to picking up a victory, falling 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 4 singles match. Seniors Sam Skarstad and Maggie Moller and junior Shelby Hanson lost in the No. 1, 3 and 2 matches, respectively. Skarstad lost 6-1, 6-0; Hanson fell 6-1, 6-0; and Moller lost 6-0, 6-1.
The Tigers fall to 0-5 in duals this year and will play again Thursday when they hit the road to take on the Cardinals of Fairmont.
Owatonna 6, Albert Lea 1
1. Sara Anderson (OW) def. Sam Skarstad, 6-1, 6-0
2. Megan Johnson (OW) def. Shelby Hanson, 6-1, 6-0
3. Olivia Herzog (OW) def. Maggie Moller, 6-0, 6-1
4. Alex Huemoeller (OW) def. Alli Dulitz, 6-2, 6-4
1. Caitlynne Bussert/Liv Matejcek (OW) def. Carley Talamantes/Brooke Maier, 6-3, 6-2
2. Kaedyn Kirchner/Hannah Conn (AL) def. Kat McDermott/Hannah Conn, 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 7-5
3. Jade Hanson/Cora Berrett (OW) def. Dominica Eckstrom/Maddie Prihoda, 6-2, 6-3