Emmons incorporated in 1899
Published 9:00 am Sunday, March 1, 2020
Emmons was named after G.H. Emmons, who first came to the land in 1856.
Two years later, a school district was organized, and in 1880, G.H. Emmons’ son started a store there, but after finding out the railroad was not going to stop there, moved the store a mile south to Norman, Iowa. The store was moved back to Emmons in 1886. After that happened, an elevator was put up and a mercantile and hardware store was opened, followed by a lumber yard.
The city was incorporated in 1899, and G.H. Emmons served as mayor from 1899 through 1905.
Email newsletter signup